Friday, November 18, 2011
Turkey Time! Get Your Gobble On!
Did you hear about the Thanksgiving turkey that got into a fight? He had the stuffing knocked out of him!
Don't look now but Thanksgiving is just next week! I can already smell L'il Pinky baking pumpkin pies at the Rumblin' Tummy bakery! Mmmm! Might have to drop by and see if she needs anyone to sample up a slice or two to make sure she's got it just right!
Turkey and stuffing and veggies and pies are my favorite Thanksgiving treats. What are yours? Do you have Thanksgiving traditions? Where will you enjoy Thanksgiving dinner?
Every year I like to cook a big ol' dinner at the Long Horn Diner and invite all of my friends over for a feast! I even make pumpkin flapjacks for Thanksgiving breakfast!
Here's my recipe! ALWAYS REMEMBER TO COOK WITH A GROWNUP!
JOHNNIE'S PUMPKIN FLAPJACKS
2 1/3 cups Original Biquick® mix
1/3 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspon pumpkin pie spice
1. Mix ingredients in a large bowl and stir until well blended.
2. Pour batter by slightly less than 1/4 cupfuls onto the hot griddle (grease griddle if necessary). Cook until edges are dry.
3. Turn; cook until golden brown. Serve with syrup.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING FROM THUMBS UP JOHNNIE AND FRIENDS!
Take this quiz to see how much you know about turkeys! Study the answers (found below) and then quiz your family members around the table at your Thanksgiving dinner!
1. The average weight of a turkey is 15 pounds. How much was the heaviest turkey ever raised?
a.) 26 pounds
b.) 36 pounds
c.) 56 pounds
d.) 86 pounds
2. A full grown turkey has about how many feathers?
3. What is the term for a large group of turkeys?
a.) A flock
b.) A brood
c.) A covey
d.) A wattle
4. Which turkeys make a gobble sound?
a.) Only the females
b.) Only the males
c.) Both males and females
d.) Neither, they actually bark
5. What is a 16-week old turkey called?
a.) A tom
b.) A giblet
c.) A fryer
d.) A drumstick
6. What is the name of the flap of skin that hangs over the turkey's beak?
a.) The wattle
b.) The gobbler
c.) The carbuncle
d.) The snood
7. What American patriot wanted the wild turkey to be the symbol for our country, instead of the bald eage?
a.) Thomas Jefferson
b.) Benjamin Franklin
c.) Abraham Lincoln
d.) George Washington
8. What is the only state that doesn't have wild turkeys?
b.) New York
9. How long does it take turkey eggs to hatch?
a.) 7 days
b.) 28 days
c.) 2 months
d.) 9 months
10. Turkey skins are tanned and used to make what?
a.) Cowboy boots and belts
c.) Baseball gloves
d.) All of the above
1. = d.) 86 pounds, about the size of a large dog!
2. = c.) 3,500 feathers
3. = a.) a flock
4. = b.) only the males gobble; the females make a clucking noise
5. = c.) a fryer
6. = d.) the snood
7. = b.) Benjamin Franklin
8. = c.) Alaska
9. = b.) 28 days
10. = a.) Cowboy boots and belts